Sunday, September 16, 2007

Family, Friends, Football

This weekend was full of highs and lows. I'll start with the downers.

Friday my flight was supposed to leave at 4:49 but due to the weather in Atlanta and Raliegh we left a couple of hours late.

Friday afternoon my great uncle (maternal grandfather's brother) had a minor stroke and isn't in very good shape right now. Luckily I was able to see him a couple of weeks ago when I was at home. Saturday morning mom and I went to see him at the nursing home so I could see him one last time. It's amazing seeing and feeling everyone's love. Saturday morning when the Hospice attendant was changing shits he said, "It won't be long." She asked, "What won't be long?" and we responded "Until I see Jean." That's probably the most caring thing I've ever heard. Jean was his wife and we passed away in February 2002. What's even more amazing is that he said it clearly and he hasn't been able to talk very well for the last month or so. Hearing that made me at peace. He's soon going to a better place.

Now for the highs. I felt guilty going to the football game but everyone insisted I go and to pull for Tech (that's coming from a bunch of UGA fans). So I went and had a great time taking my mind off everything.

Saturday was an absolutely beautiful day! We arrived on campus for tailgating at the grassy knoll between the 4th Street Apartments on Techwood which I'd never considered before but it was a great place. The only downside was lugging all of the stuff across the interstate to the parking deck before the game started. This was the group's first real tailgate (other than WCF) where we cooked a lot of stuff and even had a tent. Last year for the NC State game in Raleigh counts but we got the BBQ catered for that. Things went fairly smoothly and hopefully people will get on the planning bandwagon a little more next time :)

As for the game that was probably a low but I still had fun so it was ok. I had a bad feeling going in and it was validated by our inability to run the ball or get any pressure on BC QB Matt Ryan. BC is definitely the front runner to win the ACC Championship Game. One of the best things about the game was the weather! It was in the mid 70s (I assume) and in the Upper East we had a breeze. Man it was nice. I know it's the teaser we always get but I'm ready for Fall. My seats were also pretty good, right on the 40 and up high but had great sight lines for the entire field. Good enough sitelines that I could tell the refs were terrible and we weren't doing what we needed to do. Hopefully we'll be able to turn it around in Charlottesville next weekend.

After the game dad dropped me off at Shaun's condo in Midtown since I had an early flight this morning. When I walked out of the building to walk to the Arts Center MARTA station I was greeted with the pleasantly cool air which brought a smile to my face. Thankfully the flight back to Raleigh was uneventful.

In closing, I'm not feeling the immediate tugging at my heart to move back to Atlanta as work is going pretty well right now, but everytime I spend time down there it makes me miss it more and more.

Camera Phone Game Pics Gallery

View from Section 224 Row 28 Seats 5




Coke Building and the Moon over Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field

No comments: