Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ballgame

Ballgame! That's what we heard about halfway through our second softball game last night when we were mercy ruled 21-1. Last night was the first night of the Raleigh church league softball tournament and as a D league team we had a play in game at 6:30. The play in game was pretty good for both teams and we almost gave it up at the end but held on to win 13-12. I went 2-3 and scored two runs (I think) and struck out on fouls for the first time this season (argh). I played right field for the first time this season as we had a few people that couldn't make it and had to move some people around. I made a couple of circus catches and had a pretty good time.

Our second game started 15 minutes after the first and was against the #1 A league team that won the regular season and tournament last year. We knew these guys were serious when they were playing pepper before the game started. As I said we lost 21-1 and were glad to not get shut out. They had us played perfectly the entire game. Everytime somebody got ahold of the ball it went directly to one of their players. Their bats were even more impressive. I have never seen a display of hitting like they put on last night. Their second hitter, a lefty, on his first AB launched one over my head in right and it just kept going over the fence. The fence was 300' and the ball probably flew at least 330'. Very impressive. When the balls weren't flying to the warning track they were place hitting in the short field. I played decently well in right catching several flys. Unfortunately when I rush my throws they dive straight at the cut offs feet and when I got that fixed it would go over his head. My goal for next year is to work on my throws a little more. I've never had a good arm but it's improved over last year. I only got up to bat once in this game and again fouled out which was very frustrating to say the least given the blow out.

Overall, it was a great season and I had an awesome time. We finished the regular season 10-4 and overall 11-5. We tied for first in the regular season with the team we beat last night so I guess you could say we won D league!

No comments: