Saturday, January 06, 2007

Observations

This afternoon as I was driving to Elon to eat dinner with the G units and celebrate my gmother's 81st birthday I was listening to NPR which is my usual Saturday driving entertainment due to the wide variety of entertaining programming (I'll save you all the trouble, yes I'm an old man). I've started to really "This American Life" a show that in three acts tells three different stories related to one subject. This week's edition is entitled "The Super" and by super they mean superintendent of apartment buildings. The show featured three very unique, two funny and one serious insight into tenant-super relations. I definitely recommend listening to this show on the radio this weekend of online next week when it's posted. The link is below:

This American Life "The Super"

Observation 1:

On my way back tonight I was listening to XM and flipping around and landed on Channel 6 which is the 60s station which was playing "Limbo Rock" by Chubby Checker. Before that song did people limbo or did Chubby Checker invent the favorite game of skating rink birthday parties?

Observation 2:

I really like when the moon is low on the horizon and appears really large and orange. It's mesmerizing. I like to watch how it changes during it's rise in the night sky. One day maybe I'll be a space tourist and take a trip to the moon and get to watch the Earth rise.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

You like This American Life? I always hear the commercials think it sounds weird...some of his topics are kinda sketch.

Brian said...

Well I've only listened to a few shows recently since I've been on the road a lot and they were entertaining so maybe I've been lucky as far as topic go.

Jacs said...

I always thought chubby did create it just like the twist. Never questioned it. Now you have me looking it up... It can be traced all the way back to slave ships. And it's main origin is from the Carribean (Trinidad). Muwhaha we can dance to that on our weekend of fun!

Katie said...

I like This American Life. I listen to it at work when I am doing boring tasks that don't really use my mind. I like the "Notes on Camp," "Somewhere in the Arabian Sea," and "Middle of Nowhere" of the ones I've listened to so far. You can go to their website and they have a "favorites" section where those have come from.