Friday, October 05, 2007

Building a Cake

My granddad's 90th birthday is on Monday so I went to work last night trying to build a cake. The only cake I've ever made is chocolate pound cake with homemade chocolate icing. They've turned out ok, but not as good as mom makes. This time I'm trying a caramel cake. I followed the recipe and the results while very tasty didn't turn into the best looking cake. I think some water got in the icing while I was stirring it in the ice water bath and caused it to seize up and become unspreadable. I'm glad I did a test run and am going to see if anyone will go near the monstrosity today at work. Looks aren't everything! Attempt number two is tonight or tomorrow.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Caramel icing is really hard to make, that's a pretty good first attempt :-)

Jacs said...

Do you have some of those icing tools? Like the thing that spreads it nice and flat on top and then makes ridges on the sides if you want them? We had an ice cream store by us that doubled has a cake decorating/slash candy making supply store. Lot of handy tools from when I took my cake decorating excursion in middle school.

Good Luck! I know you're all about presentation and I'm sure it will be great.
Jacs