Monday, October 29, 2007

Smell the wet forest

Sometimes you just have to get outside. Saturday I couldn't stand the itch any longer so I headed south to Raven Rock State Park along the south bank of the Cape Fear River. When I arrived I headed away from the main trail to the rocks to avoid the small crowd arriving around the time I did strode off down the Northington Ferry Trail which dead ends at the river. After exploring a creek mouth and wishing I had brought a fishing rod as the fish jumped, I headed back and took a left down the Fish Traps Trail. This trail also ended at the river next to rapids which would be perfect for making fish traps back in the day (probably would work now too ;) ). Having enough solitary time I headed back to the main Raven Rock trail and stumbled upon the beautiful overlook of the river. It's amazing how relatively high the cliffs are along the river given the location in the southern Piedmont/Sandhills region of the state. After about a mile I arrived at the rocks which were carved out of the bank by the river and explored for awhile and marveled at the natural forces that shaped the rocks. Surprisingly the park wasn't too crowded which made for an enjoyable afternoon. According to the map I guess I hiked about 5.6 miles.

Photos Here





No comments: