Thursday, February 07, 2008

Adventures in Cooking

Last weekend the cooking bug bit me, and since I hadn't tackled anything new in awhile I gave it a shot.

Saturday night's meal was a repeat of a chicken recipe I've made before thanks to the Food Network and Bobby Flay - Grilled Chicken Breast with Spicy Peach Glaze. Without a grill I was doomed to smoke up my apartment with the grill pan so I disconnected the smoke detector and went for it. Tasty as usual and great grill marks! As a side the new recipe was grilled polenta (Italian grits). It was delicious but the grilling part didn't work out too well. I guess I'll need to practice that one some more. You'll also notice the ubiquitous baby carrots!



Sunday in honor of the Super Bowl and having seen an Emeril show about "tailgating" food I attempted to make "sweet bourbon" ribs for the first time. Ribs are a tricky thing and everyone has their own method. This time I used the recipe from the show it they were pretty good. I'm not a huge rib fan but am starting to appreciate them more. I cooked them in the oven for about 3.5 hours and then grilled them on the grill pan for about 10. It was hazy in the apartment after the grilled chicken, but once the sugar in the marinade started heating up, man, this place was down right smokey. I'm surprised it doesn't smell like a bbq restaurant in here now. Too bad I couldn't capture the smoke to infuse the ribs. One day I'll have a house with a grill and smoker and will be the backyard cooking master I dream of becoming.

No comments: