Friday, January 20, 2006

Mmm Mmm Good

I cooked a great dinner tonight if I do say so myself. I saw the recipe on the Google RSS reader that has daily recipes from a food blog called Simply Recipes. This is the second recipe I've tried and they've both been great. Tonight's dinner was Shrimp with Orange Beurre Blanc. Which basically is an orange juice, white wine, and shallot reduction with a whole honking lot of butter with shrimp. I also had toasted almond green beans and the ubiquitous baby carrots. Throw in a couple of whole wheat yeast rolls and a glass of 2004 Kris Pinot Grigio delle Venezie IGT and you've got a meal (I don't really know much about wine but the recipe called for it so I took a guess and it turned out to be pretty good for cooking and drinking).

I used to not like shrimp prepared in ways other than fried but my horizons have expanded and now I don't think of it as bait anymore. The only problem with this meal was the sauce, it was good but I need to kick it up a notch next time with more orange and maybe cut the butter some as it was too buttery. Now that I think about it, I think this is the first time I've tried to cook any French cuisine. I say that because the name sounds French and generally French food has rich sauces which this one definitely does. I guess one more thing I'd improve about the meal is having somebody to share it with because when something turns out great (or even bad) it should be shared, enjoyed, and even laughed about. Oh well at least I know have another recipe to add to my recipe box I got for Christmas.

Here's a bad camera phone pic of my plate. Check out Simply Recipes for a better picture.

Shrimp with Orange Beurre Blanc and Toasted Almond Green Beans

No comments: