Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Still Me

Yesterday eight of us from work went a day long exercise/class to learn about our personality types using the Myers Briggs instrument. This was the third time taking the assessment and I'm still the same, still an ISTJ. Along with our group were two groups from Oxford University Press from the marketing and production editors staff. It was very insightful to hear how they interact and deal with everyone's quirks.

As I mentioned, this was the third time around with the assesment. The first time was my junior year of high school when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and the second time was at Tech, I think in Psych 1000. I quite enjoy being an ISTJ and I think the description fits me perfectly. Listening to the other introverts speak yesterday, however, I feel that I've moved to the extrovert side of things somewhat. Partly out of being more comfortable with myself but also because I've had to. As part of my job I have to be extroverted and talk to developers and other people at conferences without any introduction and even worse sometimes I have to do cold calling (not often thankfully). I do all I can to prepare, Googling the people to learn about what they've done and any other info I can find to help with the conversation (part of the T and J). I've also realized that you have to put yourself out there as nobody is going to stick up for you as much as yourself.

As far as my coworkers go, I think I learned a little about them yesterday which will help in our interactions. What's your personality type?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I was ISTJ when I took it in Psych 1010. In later years, I fluctuated a lot more. Always I and J, but sometimes N and F instead of S and T.

So somewhere between ISTJ and INFJ is me. :)

Katie said...

I'm an INFJ. I think in Psyc 1000 I was an ISFJ so apparently I've changed some. One website had relations and according to that Brian you are my "Neighbor" type and Sarah you are my "Enigma" or just like me!!

ben said...

I did it for work. I'm an ISTJ, but there are a lot of factors that can figure into what you are. Especially in the I vs. E area.

My class was full of engineers, so there were a lot of ISTJ. There were some high level managers in my class who were ENF and whatever the other letter is. Its funny that the people that get highly promoted and put off in offices where they don't interact with a lot of people are usually the ENF types....

Melissa said...

ISFJ when I took it in Psyc 1000, but that was a long time ago.