Sunday, October 16, 2005

In my mind I'm going to Carolina. Can't you see the sunshine, can't you just feel the moonshine?...

It's been a beautiful weekend and an excellent end to a great week. Tuesday I went to Greensboro for the NCHFA 2005 Housing Forum and met some developers and consultants that we work with and also saw Rob Hammock who was there representing Enterprise Home.

Wednesday through Thursday my boss and I were in Ft. Lauderdale for the BB&T Faith Based Symposium and I had a great time. I met a lot of really nice people and actually got to promote the company and explain tax credits. Hopefully some of the contacts I made will pay off eventually. I didn't really know what to expect as for how the conference would go but I was impressed with the classes and the willingness of the participants to learn. As far as the nonwork stuff, the hotel was excellent and the weather was way too hot for mid-October. Thursday night I went to dinner with Tom, my boss from two summers ago, who is now in Ft. Lauderdale helping run his dad's real estate company and yacht business Broward Marine. Dinner was good, but the cool thing was that Tom offered to give me and Chuck a tour of the yacht (or as he says big boat) factory. We took him up on that offer and got a tour of the facility on Friday morning before heading to the airport. Some quick stats, they build 120', 140', and 160' boats. It takes 18 mths to build a boat and they can produce about 6-9 per year. We also got a tour of Tom Sr.'s yacht which was, as you'd expect, very nice.

Saturday brought a beautiful and fun-filled day of football and friends. Katie, Joel, Ben, and I ate lunch at Bullock's BBQ in Durham before game. That's the second time we've eaten there on a football game day so I guess it's on it's way to becoming somewhat of a tradition. After arriving at Duke we found scalped tickets for $10 each which was pretty good considering at the gate they were $25. After procurring tickets we hit one of the open fields and threw the football around for awhile and that was a ton of fun. I hadn't had a chance to just play like that in a long time so it was much needed. The only downside was loosing my football which I hid in the bushes during the game and it not being there after the game. Onto the game, the first half was horrible, but the much improved play of the second half more than made up for it. The Tech crowd and band were fantastic. Fans that travel to away games are definitely into Tech and the game. The band blew away Duke's band and controlled the stadium. Overall an excellent fall afternoon.

Big GT Flag after a touchdown

Today I went to First Presbyterian again and I think it's going to stick. I really enjoy the minister and the music. Finally, here's the Carolina blue sky that's been cloudless all day today.

Carolina blue sky

No comments: