Wednesday, October 19, 2005

"Just country boys and girls gettin' down on the farm" aka The Wondeful World of Gourds

One of the perks of my job is that we get to do fun stuff thanks to the Fun Committee. This afternoon we went to the NC State Fair for a few hours. I had a Philly Cheese Steak, some fries, and funnel cake. Yeah that's a lot of food. Here are a few pictures of price winning vegetables and gourds, yes I said gourds, giant pumpkins.

Big Honkin' Pumpkins
Big Honkin' Pumpkins

Blue Ribbon Habaneros
First place hanbaneros

Turban Squash
Prize winning turban squash

Ginormous watermelons
Watermelons that are almost 300 pounds

Old Tractor
An old Allis-Chalmers tractor in the antique tractor exhibit

International Harvester
An International Harvester tractor in the antique tractor exhibit

6 comments:

Brian said...

You are wrong Mr. Tompkins.

Katie said...

Chalmers tractors are way cool... I mean, just the name is totally awesome!

Anonymous said...

John Deere is toolish.

I vote for Chalmbers tractors.

Or old ones that aren't toolish.
Jacs

Sarah said...

But nothing runs like a Deere!

Katie, you are a traitor. Remember the toy tractors we played with at Grandmother's? Definitely John Deere.

Katie said...

That's true but I am biased now. :) Anyway, the farm actually uses IH tractors so there are lots of choices.

Brian said...

I'm still going with A-C and International. My grandparents owned a A-C and IH dealership in Burlington for about 40 years so I've got family ties to the tractors. John Deere got big because of their financing deals and management but for years and years they McCormick later to become International and Allis-Chalmers led the way to food for Americans.

So booyah.