Monday, June 19, 2006

Good times

This weekend was a lot of fun, went quickly, and was tiring. Friday I took a half day at work and left around 11:45. I stopped in Chapel Hill to eat lunch with Emily and we decided to go somewhere neither of us had been so we hit up Tyler's Taproom in Carrboro. It was pretty good but desserted for lunch time.

After lunch I hit the road and made it to Atlanta relatively traffic free around 7 and met Josh, his girlfriend Laura, and Mark at the Patagonia store in Buckhead where Josh works. It was an absolutely beautiful evening and we went to Taqueria del Sol along with the rest of the city but secured a table outside on the patio and had an enjoyable dinner. I had two fried chicken tacos and some rice (the rice wasn't good but the tacos were great).

Mark and I then headed back to Carrollton and met his sister, her husband, and a couple of their friends on the Square at Miller's. Again we grabbed a table outside and we had a good time.

Saturday, for Father's Day, I treated my dad to some golf at the Lion Golf Club and I had forgotten what a difficult course it is (doesn't help if you can't drive the ball). Since I've been playing a lot this spring, I've grown accustomed to the wide open "cow pasture" courses of North Carolina. The Lion is definitely not a cow pasture course. It's a hilly monster of a course and one, if you walked, would feel like a backpacking trip. All that said, I really like the course! I shot a 137 and dad had a 132. ARGH. I feel you're pain Phil. For some reason my drives where going to the right, something I thought I'd corrected, so I had quite a few redrives and their subsequent penalty strokes that killed my score. I did get one par, a couple of bogeys, and doubles but enough bad holes to rack up the strokes. Saturday night brought another adventure.

Mom and I went to dinner on the Square at Pearl's and had a great dinner as usual. While we were sitting there eating we kept seeing police cars and fire trucks driving through and we wondered what was going on. When we left we saw a giant smoke cloud rapidly rising in west Carrollton. It turns out that a historic, three story mill building was on fire and was completly destroyed. It was a beautiful building but fortunately operations ended in 2003 so nothing was really lost except for the building. Unfortunately it was probably started by a person as there was no lightening that night and the utilities had been turned off to the property. Stupid people. The fire was an unusual occurance in Carrollton and caused much cruising around town watching the smoke and flames. Weird how something like that will bring people out and about, we're guilty too. I took a few pics from several parts of town of the smoke, the gallery link is below.

Mandeville Mill Fire

Sunday I hit up North Avenue Presbyterian for church and WCF Dave's farewell luncheon. Dave just accepted a call at Austell Presbyterian after 14 years at WCF. It was great to see friends and NAPC was just as good as I remembered.

This trip really made me miss Georgia. Overall it was a great trip but too short.

No comments: