Sunday, June 04, 2006

Writing to catch you up on places I've been

Melissa pointed out today in a not so subtle way that it had been five days since my last update. I'm sorry my slackness loyal blog readers, I was busy being social :) and not sitting in front of my computer over the weekend.

Thursday I went to the bustling metropolis of Ahoskie, NC for a groundbreaking ceremony for the conversion of an old school into 41 elderly apartments. Ahoskie High School Apartments was one of the first deals I worked on and it required extensive modeling and remodeling of the projections due to a weak market, rentwise, i.e. there is a desparate need for housing but they can't charge very high rents which were needed to make it work. We got it to work using a couple of reserve accounts and provided a good sense of accomplishment. Anyway, the groundbreaking was well attended by local officials and even a U.S. Congressman. I snuck a tour of the building with my boss and a couple of the GC guys and the building is in rough shape but it'll be nice when it's finished in a year. Below are some pictures.

Thursday night we had to forfeit our softball game because we were one player short, ARGH...enough said.

Friday, after work, I headed to Chapel Hill with the intention of going to the Carolina Inn for Friday's on the Porch, free bluegrass, with Emily and the guy she's dating. Unfortunately thunderstorms rolled through about that time so we just went to Bandido's for dinner. After dinner I introduced them to Maple View Farm ice cream which they both enjoyed. Maple View is generous in their sampling and they had a new flavor that Emily spotted to try, Chocolate Lavender. Yes, you read correctly, Chocolate Lavendar ice cream. The high school aged employees thought it was funny that there was such a flavor and said they enjoyed watching everyone's reaction to the taste. We all followed the trend of not really liking it, big surprise there. It tasted just like chocolate mixed with the smell of lavendar. It had a couple of different flavor waves though since was complex but overall I wouldn't get it again. I guess you have to try a lot of different flavors to find one that should actually be stocked and sold.

Saturday afternoon I ventured to Chapel Hill again to see the Grims who were in town on their way to Duck on the Outer Banks for vacation. I went to dinner with them and a couple of other people at the Carolina Brewery. That dinner was the first time I've been out to eat or even hung out with friends that have a kid and it was an interesting experience. Emma is now 14 months and was very well behaved all evening but having a baby at the table was just different. Jeff and Jenn are the only parents of all of my friends and I can't see myself in their place now and we're the same age. If were married now I can see it probably being a lot different but all that just seems like a long way away at this point that it's not really conceivable now. One day though it'll be a good thing.

As we drove through Carrboro after dinner we saw somebody dressed up like the red ghost from Pac Man and then across the street was a giant Pac Man, it was hilarious and something one would only see in Carrboro. Our post entertainment was playing Cranium. Unfortunately Emma (the baby) was in bed so I didn't have a teammate so I was the fifth wheel and played for both teams and had a great time. I miss friends and small town life.

Today was church, reading, exercising, and cooking. Back to work tomorrow.

Sorry the pics aren't bigger when you click on them, the Blogger picture upload wasn't working tonight.



My Boss

Posted by Picasa



Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Melissa said...

and by "not so subtle" you mean I demanded to know what was up that you hadn't posted. Those apartments look like a really cool project, who's the contractor? ;-)

Anonymous said...

wee haw an update!