Friday, June 09, 2006

Softball

Last night we had our last softball game of the season, a make up game vs. first place Hudson Memorial Presbyterian. We ended up losing 14-4, but didn't play badly. While I don't like excuses, I've never seen so many balls drop in no mans land. They had three bloopers to land between the pitchers mound and second base and a couple of shallow blooper pops that barely made it out of the huge infield. Overall we played pretty well, especially holding Hudson to only 14 runs, they have some big bats. I played first and had a great scoop if I do say so myself and a couple of long stretches. I like playing first. As far as hitting goes I grounded to the pitcher and almost beat it out, second AB made poor contact but made it to first on a fielders choice/error and advanced the runner to second. Unfortunately the next batter lined to the pitcher and I took off on the crack of the bat and got two steps and had to dive back to first but they doubled me off. My third AB I decided not to swing unless it was a really good pitch and was walked.

We finished in solo second place, apparently Presbyterians can play some ball.

It was great to have something to do two nights a week this Spring. It took me awhile to feel like part of the team but I feel like I've earned everyone's respect and I am now a part of FPC Softball. I had a lot of fun, even in the losses. I also got to meet a lot of great guys that I probably wouldn't have met otherwise at church. We're not playing in the tournament since it costs extra and it's a combined tournament with A, B, and C league teams all in one pool (we're C league), but I'm already looking forward to next season.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I really wish our church had a softball team. Maybe next year, but then we might have to leave mid-season and that wouldn't be good. I liked your last post. I always wished someone would say I was fast, alas doesn't happen. It's usually more like "she's good for a girl" or something to that effect. See you this weekend!