Thursday, November 02, 2006

Here's the Update

Yes I've been slack in my promised recap of the weekend, so here it is.

Friday:
Left work around noon, got my ears lowered, and hit the road for a rainy driving all the way to Georgia. I've come to the conclusion that South Carolinians can't drive, thanks to three wrecks on 85.

Saturday:
Woke up at 5:30 as I was at home in Carrollton to get to campus for the Wreck Parade at 8:15. I met Jac's friend Missy for the first time and the three of us hung out most of the morning at the parade and then Starbucks where I had a hot chocolate and my first scone which was blueberry and very good.

WCF had a great turnout for the homecoming tailgate and Chris' bbq skills are to be envied. I guess it helps having a real smoker too, but big props. The game was great other than the fumble in the first 30 seconds which was recovered by Miami for a TD adn the sorry refs. More props to the football team for having tons of character this season and not getting down after big momentum swings. Some camera phone photos are below. After the game Shaun and I went to the Everybody's Pizza by Emory and then headed back to his condo. We fast forwarded through the game and hit the highlights and I fell asleep in my chair.

Sunday:
Normally I would have hit the road in the morning but Sunday was the Atlanta Team Trivia Championships at the 755 Club at Turner Field for the top 150 teams in the metro-wide league, we were ranked 84. Shaun's team consists of three intellectual property attorneys, another lawyer, an investment banker, and then me who was subbing for another attorney. Trivia, as always, was a great time and we were in 10th place at halftime and 14th going into the final question which we bombed. Unfortunately we didn't win the $5,000 grand prize but had a great time anyway. A funny story from trivia, the first question of the day was "Which company has their trademark named the Dynamic Ribbon Script." It was all down hill after that when you have three IP attorneys and one of which has the company in question as a client and works on protecting the brand. What's so bad about that question? The actual name of the logo is the "Dynamic Ribbon Device" and the script of the writting is Spencerian Script (sp?). The attorneys in the group immediately started debating how the question was flawed and the differences between trademarks and copyrights. Pretty funny. If you don't know the answer, you haven't lived in Atlanta long enough. It's Coca-Cola, not Coke.

I hit the road after trivia a little after 6 and made it back to Raleigh in six hours, much better time than on Friday.

Monday and Tuesday:
Closed my second deal, a $3.6 MM equity infusion from us for an adaptive reuse of a historic textile mill.

Saturday:
You probably received the e-mail, but we're tailgating at the NCSU Vet School lot beginning around 2:00 on Saturday for the Tech vs. State game. If you're a random reader of this you're welcome to stop by.







1 comment:

Jacs said...

GJ said if I talk to you make sure to tell you, you are the host with the most. I prefer hostess with the mostess. But hey whatcha gonna do? We should come visit again so we can surprise you with our mummy sleeping bags :-D
Jacs