Friday, December 15, 2006

A B C D E F G....

Today six coworkers and I utilized one of our three annual community service days by volunteering at the new Wake County North Regional Library branch that is in the process of being stocked with books. The library is moving from its current location on Sawmill to Harps Mill Road and will have over 200,000 books and audiobooks and is the second busiest library in the state. Our task was to help unpack and correctly shelve some of those books. We were partnered and Phillip and I were assigned the biographies. I had no clue there were that many biographies in existence. There were the usual cast of characters such as heads of state, authors, and celebraties and a lot of people I'd never heard of until today. The most popular subjects of the boxes I unpacked were the Kennedy's, Jackie Onasis (had her own section), and Ronald Reagan which made them the most frustrating due to having to alphabetize ten to fifteen books with very similar titles. I'm just glad biographies aren't labled with the Dewey Decimal System otherwise I'd have gone crazy doing alphabetical and numerical order. I gained a new since of respect for librarians today and also realized I'm glad I'm not one. It would be a frustrating and never ending battle to keep everything organized. Also today I don't think I whispered once :) there was even a boom box playing some oldies which kept us entertained.

I know I've pledged to read more on here before and I have done much better than at any point in my life but the last few months I've slacked. Today was some motivation to start tackling some of those books on my bookshelves, especially the ones I was supposed to read for school but really didn't.

Here are some pics from today:











No comments: