Sunday, July 23, 2006

Get Outdoors

It's a great day for Americans competing in international sports; first Floyd Landis won the Tour de France which continues the streak of Americans winning the last 8 years and then Tiger wins the British Open.

This morning I skipped church and spent the morning enjoying the great outdoors. I headed what is becoming one of my favorite parks, Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area in Hillsborough for some fishing and hiking. My first cast hit the water at 8:30 and I was the only one in the park for about an hour! I've come to the conclusion that the park grows extra smart fish. They'll follow a lure once or twice and then quickly completely ignore it which is different than most places; either that or I've lost my bream catching ability (which could be the case). Anyway, after about an hour of futility with a top water plug, plastic-tailed road runner, dough bait I made, and a couple of flys on the fly rod, I tied on a brand new crankbait and that's when it happend. The first cast with the brand new lure and bam a largemouth bass hit it! The fish didn't jump and pulled pretty hard. It wasn't a lunker by any means but it was the biggest bass I've caught in quite awhile. I guess there are really fish in the lake. Unfortunately I didn't have anymore luck, but at least I caught one.

After fishing I hit the trails for some hiking around the mountain. I thought I saw a couple of rare Brown Elfin butterflies (info here) but it turns out they were some other brown species of butterfly. Oh well, it was still a great Sunday morning excursion.


For some scale and gotta have the foot pic (right Jacs?)


The Lure, a Rapala DT-6 in Green Tiger

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the foot pick!

USO has internet for me to use. 10 hour days are going to kill me. I haven't used the internet in 4 days I deserve a medal for that one. It's so hot and humid and dreary here. I think this is what Seattle looks like. There are no drawers in my room. And the closet is half the size of a doorway. Pretty interesting. 2.5 weeks to go :-(

Jacs

Brian said...

Something like that, but I usually practice catch and release so they live to fight another day and provide somebody else some excitement. Also, I think too many people take fish from the two ponds at that park so I do my little bit to help.

Anonymous said...

I think Jake was referring to me being able to have fresh sushi all the time.

I had it once...another medal should be awarded. There was a conveyor belt and you picked off what you wanted. Dinner for 315 yen. I swear the Japanese probably love to laugh at me trying to use those chop sticks. The green tea is so good though...warm or cold. Coca cola sells green tea for this country. No sugar here either that is great!

I saw the sun for part of the day today so I am happier.

Sorry this has nothing to do with your post Brian

Jacs