Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Independence Day!

It's been a busy weekend. Friday night I rented The New World on demand since I never saw it in the theatres. It was pretty good and I recommend it, though it wasn't how I thought it would be. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a Native American and see those tall ships emerge on the horizon for the first time. I also can't imagine how that first encounter went. Kind of mind blowing how things possibly unfolded at that time in history.

Saturday was errand day.

Sunday I went to church and was disappointed that we only sang one patriotic song. Sunday afternoon I played golf at Quaker Creek in Mebane with my dad and finally beat him! I shot a 121 and he shot 128. It appears that the 108 about a month ago was a fluke. My dad came up for the weekend because of my grandparents' 60th anniversary which was yesterday. Man that's a long time; major props to them. I spent the night at their house on Sunday and Monday nights.

Monday morning dad and I went canoeing for a couple of hours at Lake Mackintosh in Burlington and had a great time. I even caught a small catfish on a plastic roadrunner jig! The lake also had kayaks for rent so I'll have to go try one of those out some day that I feel like flipping over and getting wet. After canoeing I did a little work and took some photos of two apartment sites we're providing equity for in Burlington. We then headed to the tractor store and I took some pics there since my dad is wanting to create a website to record the history of Oxford Equipment Company. We then (a lot of we thens) hit up Zack's in downtown Burlington for some great hotdogs. After lunch we drove out to see the Glencoe Mill Village rehabilitation undertaken by Preservation North Carolina and we were both impressed.

Monday night Emily came over after classes and studying and we all went to Longhorns for the anniversary dinner (their preferred choice, a local restaurant, was closed). After dinner and converation about the recent innovation of Diet Coke and Mentos fountains dad and I provided the evenings "fireworks" with four two litters. It was kind of anticlimatic but still worth trying out. Here's one of our bottle fountains: Click Here. If you want to see a cool bottle fountain check this out: Coke Fountain

Today on my way home I stopped in Hillsborough for some fishing at the Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area and I caught one tiny bream that I used for bait but it didn't work. Still it was fun getting outside for a couple of hours. After fishing I came home and exercised, watched the Italy vs. Germany match, signed up as a free agent for the Triangle Adult Soccer League fall soccer, and the Capitol Fourth in DC on TV. Standing on my porch I smell the scent of grills and hamburgers wafting through the trees and I really miss having my own backyard, but I know it'll happen in time. Hopefully next year at this time I'll have friends to hang out with and watch fireworks with. :)

Images of the Weekend













2 comments:

Katie said...

Glad you had fun wiht your family. :) Joel and I went paddle boating at Lake Mackintosh yesterday. It was really hot but still fun. I didn't see canoes though, where were they?

Brian said...

You went to the wrong marina, there's one on the road to the Shalleigh golf course. If you click the Lake Mackintosh link in my post it'll take you to the info page. They have jon boats, canoes, kayaks, and paddle boat for rent there.