Thursday, September 07, 2006

Touchdowns

If you just want to see photos here they are: Tech vs. Notre Dame (camera phone) and the New England Trip.

Friday
8:30-12 Work
2:37-4 Flying to Atlanta
4:30 Picked up by Josh at the airport and head to his apartment in Buckhead.
5:30 Shaun meets us at the apartment and we drive around and consider going to the Sweetwater Brewery tour but it was really crowded and we didn't want to stand in line. Then we headed to Taco Mac in Virginia-Highlands to meeting Josh's girlfriend Laura for dinner. After dinner Shaun and I headed to Atlantic Station to see the Tech pep rally. I was suprised, but there was an excellent turnout. After being peppy Shaun and I watched Little Miss Sunshine which was a great movie. I definitely recommend it.


Atlantic Station Pep Rally



Saturday
7:30 Left Shaun's condo and take MARTA to campus to meet Ben to get in line for ESPN Gameday.
8:30-12 Ben and I are loud members of the Tech contingent at the filming of SportsCenter and Gameday. You may have seen us on TV if you were watching.

After Gameday we met some folks for Quiznos and then hung around WCF for awhile watching some games on the projector. I also met up with Shaun and some of his friends to tailgate for a few hours.

5:30 Yellow Jacket Alley was packed as the players, cheerleaders, the wreck, and band processed towards the stadium.

8:00 Kickoff and a great game. Unfortunately Tech couldn't pull it out even with all the chances in the world and lost 14-10. On the positive side, Notre Dame slid a few slots in this weeks polls.

1:00 Bedtime


Pregame



Sunday
Sunday consisted of flying to Boston and driving around looking for a dorm fridge for my sister since my mom stole her's to put in her classroom. We didn't have any luck, they were sold out everywhere we went.

Monday
I wanted to add a state to my visited states list so we headed to Rhode Island for the day. We first stopped in Providence to see College Hill where Brown and the Rhode Island School of Design are located. Both campuses are beautiful. I wish we could have been there for the weekend's WaterFire exhibit. After Providence we joined the masses and headed south to Newport, RI. The town was pretty nice but a little too touristy for me, especially on Labor Day. The draw in Newport is a collection of mansions built for the aristocracy of the late 1800s and early 1900s as summer cottages. Summer cottages my foot. They put to shame the cottages the same people built on Jekyll Island in Georgia.


The Breakers - Cornelius Vanderbilt II's summer cottage



Tuesday
Tuesday dad and I tried to canoe at a state park but it was closed. The rest of the day was running errands for Emily and convocation was at 4:30. Emily did an excellent job and definitely deserves being President of Wellesley College Government and following in Hillary Clinton's footsteps. After convocation there was a reception followed by the traditional Step Singing which really wasn't done on the steps. Not everyone participated but the women were grouped by classes and seemed to have a lot of fun. For dinner we went to Legal Seafoods and the food was decent (haddock is becoming one of my favorite fish) but overpriced and the service was terrible (poor service seemed to follow us around the entire trip).


Emily with President Walsh



Wednesday
Dropped mom at the airport for an early flight. Dad and I drove to Plymouth, MA to see Plymouth Rock and the town. It was kind of anticlimatic which is what we expected but now we've seen the rock. The town was nice also. I don't think I've ever been to a place that has a town brook (the original freshwater supply for the colonists). After the rock watching, we drove back to Boston and dad dropped me at the airport for my 5:00 flight which touched down at RDU thirty minutes late. Dad proceeded on to Bar Harbor, ME for a few extra days of vacation.


Plymouth Rock (For scale it is probably 4.5' across)



Overall it was a great trip and the weather was pleasant in the lows 70s for highs though a little cloudy. I'm ready for fall. I also remembered how much I like traveling and seeing new things. If you want to see some of the things I saw check out my photo albums here: Tech vs. Notre Dame (camera phone) and the New England Trip.


My Visited States



Create your own visited states map

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Dude! You need to take a big road trip through the US. The western states are the coolest!

Anonymous said...

How did you miss my state? That's impressive.

Jacs

Brian said...

Yes I know! I thought I was going to get to go Omaha this week for a conference which would have checked off Nebraska (also considering doing a road trip while out there) but didn't work. One day I'll head west.

Yes I've missed PA as well. I was close when Emily and I drove to Boston in February. I'm just saving it for your wedding next year. ;)