Saturday, March 11, 2006

The Furman Wavers Elon Chapter

Yesterday I felt like a member of the Furman Wavers (group of students that stand at the entrance to Furman and wave at folks). For 8 hours I waved at almost every vehicle that passed by the stew stand on the main road into and out of Elon and came to several conclusions:

  • Elon students have really nice cars
  • 99% of Elon students don't eat Brunswick stew (not much of a surprise there since I don't like it either)
  • People can drive at least a few hundred feet without hands on the steering wheels, one hand on the cell phone and another waving at me or gesturing to the person on the phone.
  • People don't buy stew when it's 75 degrees outside
  • I like being outside
  • 6 out of 22 New Jerseyites (Jerseyians) don't wave
  • I think Elon has the reverse ratio of Tech and why didn't I go there ;)
  • People really like to get a wave
  • I like getting waves and big smiles in response

Overall it was a good time and I got the chance to meet some new people. The stew didn't sell well but maybe the folks selling today will have better luck. Granddaddy was interviewed by an Elon student doing a video project for a mass communications class about the stew sale so hopefully he'll e-mail me a copy when it's finished.

Last night I went to I-85 Golf and Baseball with Joel and Katie to hit some balls in preparation for this afternoon's golf game. It was a absolutely beautiful evening and was perfect for some ball smashing. I'm hoping I can hit my drives at well today as I did last night, my iron shots on the other hand will definitely need to improve. We then went to eat some Mexican for dinner and had a good time.

Here are a few camera phone pics from yesterday, real pictures will be posted when I get back to Raleigh.

Granddaddy waving at passersby

Granddaddy being interviewed

Stew label

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 6 out of 22 don't wave? I'm impressed. Because I thought New Jersey people were mean then Pennsylvanian's. I guess not because I know I wouldn't have waved at you. And I know I thought you were a freak when you were in your car waving at pedestrians. If somebody would have waved to me while I was walking at home and I was alone I would have thought they were coming to kill me cause they had a screw loose. Point of the story you are creepy.

There was this old couple when we used to come back from Deep Creek on Sunday nights who would sit on their hill side and just wave. We blamed it on them being in the counrty and not having anything else to do.

Jacs

Katie said...

it is so not creepy to wave at people, it's just friendly especially in a small town like Elon!! Jaclyn you are the crazy one :)

Brian said...

Well the few PA cars I saw didn't wave either if that makes you happy. It was just easy to count NJ because they have tags on the front.

Melissa said...

when I was in high school driving back and forth to Gordon for my co-op classes I always had people wave at me. It was a two lane road in the middle of nowhere and it was curvy so nobody drove very fast. I think it's an unwritten rule that if you're both driving trucks you wave at each other...or at least lift a few fingers from the top of the steering wheel and nod or smile. My grandaddy and I always waved at people when I was little, especially driving to their farmland out in the country. I like that people still wave around here :-)

Sarah said...

I can totally drive my car for a long way without hands. (Perhaps I shouldn't admit to this.) It's actually really easy to make minor steering adjustments in an Xterra with your knees...

Anonymous said...

This is perhaps the first and last semi-public aknowledgement that the Furman Wavers Club will ever get. Thanks Brian! Viva the wave, sgb