Sunday, August 27, 2006

"It's hell getting old." - Granddaddy

Yesterday had it's ups and downs. Overall the day was very fun and enjoyable. Thanks to a great deal at the golf course, Joel and I played two rounds yesterday for $18. A total of 36 holes in 6.5 hours. The weather wasn't too hot and the lack of humidity made the day pleasant. After golfing we headed back to make pizzas with Katie and her friend from Charlotte Caroline. After pretending to be Italian we had some excellent birthday cake in honor of Joel's 24th birthday which is tomorrow. Post cake and ice cream was game time. I don't know the game we played but it involved cards with apples on them and random common and proper nouns that had to be matched with an adjective or verb. Sounds dorky plus it would help if I knew the name of the game and could describe it better, but it was really fun.

The down part of the night was at 11 as I was getting in the Explorer to head back to Raleigh and I noticed that my Grandmother had called and left a voicemail 15 minutes earlier. I listened and heard her panic voice on the phone. I immediately called back and headed to their house which is about 10 mins away from the Chalmer's apartment. It turns out that she found my granddaddy passed out on the floor in the bedroom. Of course she didn't know if he was alive or dead at that point and tried to revive him and he responded to his name with a grunt. She asked if he knew where he was and he reponded, "the wheat field." He was limp and couldn't really move but seemed to be ok and she somehow, probably adreniline or something, was able to lift him into the bed. She took his pulse and blood pressure but which were both normal. All of the excitement was over when I arrived and I offered to stay up with him over night but she told me she would and I hit the hay. This morning I woke up to find both of them watching the news. He didn't remember a thing and said he felt just fine. I even took him to eat at IHOP and he did just fine walking around and talking. Grandmother thinks he may have taken too many sleeping and pain pills but we don't know what caused it. Hopefully it wasn't a stroke and thankfully he didn't hit his head on anything. I also hope they do talk to the doctor instead of not thinking anything about it. They can be stubborn sometimes.

That quote in the subject was from a conversation I had with granddaddy a couple of months ago and it seemed very appropriate today.

Hello, how are you doing today?
I hope I find you feeling healthy
I'm so glad our paths crossed this time today
On our way into the night
- Dave Matthews "Granny"

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Apples to Apples is the name of the game, it is really amazing...WCF owns it now, we bought it for the Charleston trip.

Do try to get your grandaddy to go to the doctor, my grandaddy had a mini stroke last year that was sort of like that. He didn't pass out, but he couldn't talk and was very weak, luckily everybody in the family (except me) was there so they called 911. We assumed he remembered it, and I think he did at the time, but my mom brought it up the other day and he had completely forgotten about it and denied that he had had a stroke even though he spent the night in the hospital. They're stubborn, I know...mine are too, but try :-\

Katie said...

I'm glad your grandfather is okay and hope it was nothing serious. If you ever need us to go by and check on them or anything I can.

Brian said...

Thanks!