Friday, August 18, 2006

Rock and Bowl!

Yesterday was another Fun Commitee day at work and we went bowling! Yes, we went bowling in the middle of the day. I picked out a nice dark green 12 lbs ball and on my first roll, a strike. The first game I bowled a 160 which I think may be my all time high score. Unfortunately my scores progressively declined as in the next two games. I scored a 140 the second game and 137 and 131 in the third as one of my teammates didn't want to bowl the third game. We were randomly split into teams but from our department's analysis we would have blown everyone away had we bowled based on departments. Overall it was a pretty good time and nice to get out of the office and interact with people I don't normally work with often.

There was also an awards ceremony but I left early to head to Glenwood South to an Urban Land Institute tour of the new Paramount condos and networking event at Mellow Mushroom. The tour was great, ULI has a very open membership that shares how their development process went and what they learned, what went right and what went wrong. The condos were very well designed and all had great features. We were able to tour three units thanks to their owners and saw three beautifully decorated condos. The most interesting thing was that the three units we toured have abesentee owners. The biggest was a 2,000 sf three bedroom condo owned by a couple from Charlotte that use it maybe one weekend a month, most likely when in town for NC State sporting events. One of the others was owned by an architect that splits his time between Raleigh and Miami Beach. Another benefit of the ULI events is that I'm starting to get to know people and hopefully that will generate some business and other contacts for down the road.

No comments: