Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Cancellation

Last night was a beautiful, cool spring evening, one perfect for a softball game vs. Hayes Barton Baptist. Unfortunately the umpires didn't show up for our game at 6:30. Apparently one was in a wreck on the way, but what about the other two? Well one showed up riding his bike to the field about 40 minutes late and since there were two games after our's they cancelled our game to be made up later. Since we had the field until 7:30 we decided to just play for practice but the umpire just sat there and watched which really infuriated a couple of people on our team. I agree that he could have at least called some balls and strikes for us but no reason to get mad, just make the most of it. Though I do understand that people are taking time away from their families to be there and want the games to count.

If we had actually played yesterday we were missing several of our normal starters and had a couple of new people come out. I would have played third and batted second (a big jump from 6th or 7th in the order). During practice I had two good hits, a double and a single. It feels good to make good contact. In the field no balls were hit my way, but I had the opportunity for a great play that I bungled. There's a guy on second and the batter hits a long fly to left. The runner tags and the left fielder makes an absolutely perfect throw to me at third so I can get the tag. I don't know what happened, maybe lost the ball in the sun which was setting behind the left fielder or blinked or what but the ball hit my glove and I started going down for the tag but I didn't have the ball. Man that's one of those plays you dream about, now it's a bad dream :) Pretty frustrating to not finish the play, especially after such a great throw.

For Jacs - I had fun, met some folks, and got outside!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Nah, that's the first thing I learned about softball -- even though it's rec, people still take it VERY seriously.

I'd be annoyed at the umps. Our soccer referrees are constantly late, and thus the games start late, and they end up shortening the halves to make up for their lateness. But they still get paid for a full game? Not cool.