Friday, May 26, 2006

Moment of Silence

Please have a moment of silence after you read this in honor of the Tan Van which is no longer in the Oxford family after joining in 1991. Today my dad sold it to the brother of a guy that works for him for $500. The 1986 Astro had almost 200,000 miles on it and that's the one regret I have for getting the Explorer when I did, that I didn't get to roll it over. The Tan Van wasn't the coolest car to drive but it had an aura about it that most vehicles don't. It was something special. It was my first car, it drove gear to many a camping trip, hauled my stuff during many collegiate moves, and was something unique. Today's sale was provident as well. As I posted in the previous post, the Explorer is in the shop and will have a fairly sizeable repair bill due to replacing the fuel pump, all of the fluids, having the oil changed, and tires rotated and balanced. The money from the Tan Van which is still running because of many hundreds of dollars in repairs will go to pay for the repairs on my current vehicle. Now for a moment of silence as you scroll through the some memories of the beloved Tan Van.

Photos taken of photos in my scrap book:
Summer 1998 before heading out for my second summer as counselor at Bert Adams Scout Reservation


Summer 1998 before heading out for my second summer as counselor at Bert Adams Scout Reservation in Covington, GA


I think this is the first day of school of my senior year in August 1998 (man I need to lose some weight now)


These pictures are from a rainy day in February of the Tan Van parked next to my dad's office. I had better pics from a sunny day at home but they were lost when my laptop hard drive crashed last September.







That's 198,635.2 miles!




Moms fault! Argh, she was driving the Tan Van for some reason and cut it too close to the mailbox and permanently damaged my sweet ride.


My fault :) I was driving through a campsite (off road) at Bert Adams and hit a stump that was buried in a pile of leaves.


4 comments:

Andrew said...

o tan van, we hardly knew ye!

ben said...

Hey, its an off-roading tan van. We should take a real sneak trip to PCB...or not, because I'm getting to old for this ;-) Many a ride was had in the Tan van. I noticed the windshield got replaced. I'll miss the nice crack all the way across.

Brian said...

Astute observation. I forgot about the crack, the windshield was replaced Summer 2003.

I'm up for a roadtrip. Let me know when and where, preferably not the beach though.

Melissa said...

Aww, sad. I miss riding in the tan van.