Sunday, May 21, 2006

Zowie!

Saturday morning I ran a few errands and bought some delicious strawberries from a roadside stand on Creedmore Rd from Lyon Farm. They are actually red all the way through and are the essence of how strawberries should be. As I walked up to the stand I began smelling the scent waffting through the breeze twenty feet away. Unfortunately I got strawberry juice on my shorts but thanks to my Tide pen it all came out, the wonders of modern technology!

Saturday afternoon Joel and I played golf at Quaker Creek Golf Course in Mebane, NC, a new course for both of us. It followed the typical pattern of rural NC courses with relatively wide open fairways, but the real challenge came in the form of the toughest greens either of us had played. The greens were very quick and undulating which made for some frustrating putting.

We teed off around 2:00 to walk the 18 and a random guy in front of us that was riding and playing by himself asked if we wanted to play with him so we warned him of our skills or lack thereof but he signed on anyway. He went to NC State and was a CE major specializing in construction and working for a construction company in Winston-Salem now. He turned out to be a nice guy and even put his cart to good use as a ball finder while waiting on our walking up the fairways. Unfortunately Tech fell yesterday to State. State shot a 101 and Joel and I shot 133 and 120 respectively. As with each round analysis so far it feels like I'm improving. I definitely gave up some strokes on the putting but my driving and middle game greatly improved yesterday. The highlight for me was shooting my first par on a normal, non-par 3 golf course. Then it happened two more times!!! Overall it was generally a triple bogey day with only one hole in double digits. The course was pretty good too and you can't beat $13 for 18 holes.

After golf I headed to the G-units in Elon to have dinner with them and my sister who is taking classes at UNC this summer to get her pre-med sciences knocked out. After a great dinner, I headed over to Katie and Joel's to visit and we busted out Trivial Pursuit Volume 6. it turned into a long game and we our working selves were showing the wear and tear of a late night. We're getting old. :) I ended up winning after a valient comeback by Katie.

Today I went to church and picked up what has become my standard post-church fare, a chicken salad sandwich with lettuce and tomato on wheat and toasted and a fresh homemade orangeaide from Pharaoh's at North Hills. That's some good stuff right there. The weather was beautiful today, though it's starting to warm up. I was drawn to the porch to do some reading and to tan my feet which are ghostly white compared due to my golf shoe tan from yesterday. The weather made me wish I didn't live in an apartment and had a yard of my own. To combat my desire I headed to The Home Depot and bought some plants for my porch. I ended up with two ferns which I'll hang up in traditional southern style and a "Zowie! Yellow Flame" Zinnia which I thought looked nice. I also transplanted my basil plant from it's tiny pot to a much larger pot in hopes of it growing to a big bush o' basil. That was my weekend and here are some pics of my plants.







No comments: