Thursday, April 06, 2006

Learnin'

In this week's conference news, I enjoyed the NCHC conference in Winston-Salem. Conference sessions are always a toss up if they're going to live up to their description. This time I'd say I learned a little but not as much as I'd hoped. The main reason for attending the events isn't really the learning opportunity but the networking that comes during breaks, meals, and cocktail/hopitality times. I met several people I'd talked to on the phone but hadn't met and as well as a lot of other people in the affordable housing/development industry. I actually met a 2002 Tech Architecture grad that now practices with a firm in Raleigh while she is in school at State working on her 5th year. As always it's good to meet other Tech people, especially if they're young. Our hotel room had an excellent view facing north towards the foothills and we could clearly see Pilot Mountain from our 7th floor room.

Last night after the scheduled events I went to dinner with two of my co-workers at The Old Fourth Street Filling Station and had a great evening. The restaurant, as the double entendre name suggestions, is a former gas station converted into a restaurant which as most of you know I really like as a concept. The night was beautiful so we ate outside and had a great variety of food. I didn't know one could fry grits but they do it and they're great. If you're ever in Winston-Salem I highly recommend it, especially if you're staying downtown since it's within walking distance of the hotels.

There are two downsides to the trip, the first is that I didn't have the opportunity to drive through the WFU campus. Second, it feels like Friday afternoon but i'ts not and I don't want to go to work tomorrow. Overall, I had a good time, met some people, and got to know my co-workers better.

In other news, my sister, Emily, won the race for College Government President at Wellesley last night!!! One of the reasons she returned to Wellesley this semester was to run for president but after a couple of weeks decided not to run. As the race heated up she began receiving e-mails from students requesting that she run as a write in because they weren't satisfied with the candidates so she took them up on the offer and threw her name in the hat. The results were announced at midnight and she won by 138 votes! She's going to be crazy busy next year but it'll be a great experience and should open doors to a lot of opportunity.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's basically how quaker steak and lube was formed. They started selling wings in the gas station...and it was so good now it's a chain.

And they have the best wings ever...just ask Chris Case if you don't believe me...they bring you onion rings on an antenna.
Jacs