Saturday, April 01, 2006

Uptime

I know you all were getting tired of seeing the same post at the top of the page but that's how it goes sometimes. The cable guy came out today and transferred my cable and internet so I'm now reconnected to the world.

This week has been busy. The temp laborers did a pretty good job moving my big stuff on Tuesday afternoon and I'm glad I got the 17' Uhaul since it allowed us to get it all at once. The next three afternoons after work involved packing, cleaning, loading, unloading, and starting over. Thursday night I wrapped up everything except for taking out the trash and getting a few random things. I went to the apt on Friday during lunch and finished everything. I had a move out inspection Friday after work and passed with flying colors. The maintenance guy even liked my Ikea shelf that I installed as a mantel over the fireplace. He didn't know what Ikea is but he was impressed and said they were considering doing something similar in all of the units. I told him they could keep it since it was only $15 and I didn't want to fool with taking it down and leaving holes in the wall. My task this weekend and probably for the next week or so is to find a place for all of my stuff. Right now it's all piled up in the sunroom, living room, and kitchen. I have my bedroom the way I think I want it but the rest of the stuff is going to be a challenge.

Now onto things that didn't involve moving. On Wednesday, Johan (co-worker and '02 DCRP grad) and I went to UNC for one of the affordable housing classes at the planning school to review case study presentations. Johan actually wrote the case study for his MP and I went along to 1) Get out of the office 2) see the prof 3) pretend to be important :). We had a brown bag lunch session with 5 students that came to discuss affordable housing and career opportunities. The one thing that alarmed both us was that several of the students want to do development but claim to be afraid of the numbers. The numbers can be intimidating at first but it's not like we're doing calculus. It just takes awhile to get a feel for it, I just hope they haven't psyched themselves out already. After the lunch we went to class and heard two presentations and gave some pointers on what they could have improved. Overall both groups did a great job.

On Thursday my boss and I went to Charlotte to meet with the developers of a mill conversion project in Morganton using historic tax credits. I'm lucky that Chuck takes me along on for the meetings as they are a great learning opportunity. We also stopped at Bass Pro Shops in Concord on the way back.

Today was our second softball practice and there were only 3 of us (sound famililar?). Supposedly we have enough for a full team. I realized today that my skills have flip flopped from when I used to play baseball. I now can hit but my defense is terrible and it used to be the other way around. I guess I've just gotten lazy but I need to get down on the grounders. I need to find a batting cage that throws ground balls for some fielding practice. It didn't help that I was getting used to a new glove but I can't blame it on that too much. I'm hoping that next weekend will be better and I'll finally get in the swing of things. I guess that's why practice was invented. Our first game is on April 13 so not much longer to go before the two games/week kick in.

This coming week is going to be busy as well. We're interviewing interns and on Wednesday and Thursday most everyone will be at the 2006 North Carolina Housing Coalition Conference in Winston-Salem. The sessions sound good so hopefully I'll learn something new.

That's enough updating, I leave you now with some camera phone memories of the old apartment and the mess which is my new apartment.












New Apartment








One more for good measure, some flowers by the back entrance at work.

3 comments:

ben said...

When I was playing with North Ave. I always found that my hitting was better at the beginning of the season than the end, and my fielding was better in the end. Probably everybody elses fielding gets better which is why my hitting goes down. I can't really control where I hit. I usually just try to smack it as hard as I can.

Anonymous said...

So my hitting drastically improved too. I have a feeling it was the bat though. It was amazing. I couldn't really tell about my fielding because we didn't really do fielding practice. Everyone batted and we all stood in the outfield to cover balls. And I've always sucked at juding fly balls. But I was all over my grounders.

Words of advice Brian has my coach always used to tell us in grade school...

GET YOUR ASS IN THE GRASS!
Jacs

Melissa said...

man, you really do need help unpacking...too bad Raleigh is so far away from Atlanta